Tuesday, 16 July 2013

Mocha Ice Cream Cake (Low Carb & Gluten Free)



If you read my last post, you'd see that it was my birthday (and also my mom's) yesterday!  So, I decided I was going to make us a cake on our special day. It took, literally, hours. Maybe because I was sick, or there were 3 recipes to follow (probably not the best idea to do them all at once) or that I dont have an ice cream machine. Yes, I was sick on my birthday, but it was mostly just a minor coughing. I obviously felt pretty good or I wouldnt have even thought of baking. I was feeling pretty tired at the end of the day (and if you were my family, you'd know I was because of the "meltdown" I had when my ice cream was melting all over the counter and the cake was crumbling) but in the end it turned out pretty good for my first ice cream cake, other than the fact that it was melting and falling apart for the picture. It was also my first time making ice cream so Im feeling pretty accomplished. WARNING! This is a VERY filling cake, just look at the Total Fat count and you'll see. The coffee ice cream recipe will be posted soon.

Makes one cake

Ingredients
1/2 cup whipping cream
1/2 cup butter
3 oz 85% dark chocolate
6 eggs, beaten
2 tsps vanilla
1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
2 cups almond flour
4 tbsps coconut flour
3/4 cup xylitol
10 tbsps cocoa powder
1/2 tsp salt
4 tsps baking powder
1 recipe homemade low carb coffee ice cream
1-2 cups whipped cream
1 recipe homemade low carb ganache frosting (optional)

Directions
Preheat oven to 350F. Lay parchment paper on the bottom of a 9" springform pan. Combine whipping cream, butter and chocolate in a glass bowl. Melt in the microwave for 2 minutes, stirring every 30 seconds. Cool. Add in eggs and vanilla and whisk until combined. In another medium sized bowl, mix the almond milk, flours, xylitol, cocoa powder, salt and baking powder until combined. Add chocolate mixture and beat. Pour into pan and bake for 30 minutes or until the edges start cracking and toothpick comes out clean. Remove from pan and cool. Cut the cake in half by using dental floss or a cake leveler. Take one piece and cover it in ice cream. Add other layer and press down slightly. Put cake into the freezer and chill for 15 minutes. Remove from freezer and cover the cake in whipping cream and decorate with frosting.


Makes about 1 cup ganache frosting

Ingredients
3/4 cup whipping cream
1 bar 70% or 85% chocolate (I used both)
4 tbsps coconut oil
1/2 cup xylitol

Directions
Combine all ingredients in a glass bowl. Melt in microwave for 2-3 minutes, stirring every 30 seconds until completely melted. Chill for 2 hours or until firm. Remove from refridgerator and whip into a fluffy ganache. 

Adapted from I Breathe... I'm Hungry... blog recipes

Nutritional Info (per 1/8th slice)
Calories: 830
Total Fat: 89 . 3g
Net. Carbs: 9g
Protein: 14 . 6g

Im so sorry, Im not feeling quite up to snuff today so I wont be posting another classic recipe's nutrition facts to compare.



No comments:

Post a Comment