Wednesday, 22 May 2013

Key Lime Cheesecake Pie (Low Carb & Gluten Free)



Who? Ceara? Hmm... I don't remember her. Something rings a bell though. Oh right! She's the one who hasn't posted on Low Carb Cookie Jar since, what? Last month? Finally she's come up with something...

So sorry to have waited this long! I don't know what's been keeping me. Maybe the shortage on Xylitol, having busy weekends, or just slacking off...? Lets just say a little of all the above. I will try to post more often for all you, if anyones reading this? Anyone? I'd really like to hear comments if there are any readers out there! 

This recipe uses my famous almond flour crust! I can't believe this is the first time I've introduced it, since I use it in every pie or whatever you use a crust for. Although, this is the first pie recipe I've posted, and what better way to start than with key lime pie? 

It also uses sweetened condensed milk, which is normally super high in carbs. Fortunately, I found a low carb version! I had a bit of trouble with it because it just would not thicken! Little did I know, it thickens when it cools. So don't get frustrated when your milk doesn't thicken on the stove. I also forgot I did not have key limes to I had to use normal limes. Key limes normally have a lime-ier taste, so if you do decide to use normal limes, make sure to use a little more juice. Both the almond flour crust and the sweetened condensed milk recipes are in another post below if you'd like to use them.

This recipe actually turned out to be a bit of a cheesecake. It is normally less creamy and more limey. I did have to run out during the middle of making it, so that probably messed something up. Maybe yours will turn out better than mine!


Makes one pie filling

Ingredients
8 oz (one brick) cream cheese, softened
1/2 - 3/4 cup key lime juice
1 1/4 cup (about 1 can) sweetened condensed milk

Directions
Preheat oven to 350F. In a large bowl, beat cream cheese until smooth. Add lime juice and sweetened condensed milk and mix until completely combined. Pour into pie shell and chill for at least half an hour. Add topping and enjoy!


Nutritional Info

Low Carb
Calories: 213
Total Fat: 30 . 9g
Sat. Fat: 19 . 4g
Cholesterol: 104 . 4mg
Sodium: 124 . 6mg
Carbs: 10 . 4g
Fibre: 3 . 6g
Net. Carbs: 6 . 8g
Sugars: 0 . 4g
Protein: 2 . 5g

Classic Key
Calories: 450
Total Fat: 13 . 2g
Sat. Fat: 5 . 2g
Cholesterol: 20mg
Sodium: 240 . 6mg
Carbs: 52g
Sugars: 42g
Protein: 6g