Saturday, 6 April 2013

Chocolate Chip Cookies (Low Carb & Gluten Free)



Finally! A low carb version of chocolate chip cookies! These turned out way better than I had expected. Although a little overbaked... I tried to make half a recipe since it makes approximately 44 cookies, but I forgot to half the last two ingredients, so I ended up just making a whole recipe. This is the whole recipe, so it does make the 44 cookies. I added some bright flowers to the picture to add a little spring flair! I made the chocolate chips in the recipe by chopping up some Lindt Excellence 85% chocolate bars. It's way lower in sugar and tastes great with big chocolate chunks here and there. I'm sorry I haven't been posting lately, I just came back from Hawaii last night. Yes, I did make these last night, and stayed up until 12:30am to take them out of the oven! Can you tell what I'd like to be when I grow up? Anyway, here's the recipe!

Makes approximately 44 cookies

Ingredients
4 cups almond meal/flour
2 cups dark chocolate chips
2 tsps baking soda
1 1/2 cups xylitol
1/2 tsp salt
4 large eggs
2 tsps vanilla extract
2 tbsps sour cream
1/2 cup butter, melted

Directions
Preheat over to 350F. Mix almond flour, chocolate chips, baking soda, xylitol and salt in a large mixing bowl. In a different bowl, whisk eggs together. Add vanilla, sour cream and melted butter and mix until completely combined and smooth. Pour liquid mixture into flour mixture and mix by hand. Cover cookie sheets with parchment paper. Dollop heaping tablespoons onto cookie sheets. Flatten the cookies and shape them into circles since they do not change shape in the oven. Cook for 15-20 minutes or until brown. Cool and enjoy!

Adapted from a Wheat Belly blog recipe

Nutritional Info (per one cookie)

Calories: 147
Total Fat: 10g
Sat. Fat: 3g
Cholestorol: 18mg
Sodium: 95mg
Carbs: 8g
Fibre:1 . 9g
Net. Carbs: 6 . 1g
Sugar: 0 . 7g
Protein: 4g